The Niyamas are the second of the 8 limbs of yoga. The Niyamas are the disciplines of self-study, introspection, and self purifications. Below you will find ideas to practice each of the 5 Niyamas. Take my yoga class Here and learn more about the Niyamas.
NIYAMAS -Self Observances
1 SAUCHA Purifications for body and mind, cleansing techniques
Ways to Practice Saucha
- Kapalabhati breathe of fire -practice this daily ritual with my youtube video here –https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqfqRjN0SmE&t=2s
- Daily nasal cleansing with a Neti Pot https://amzn.to/2OdXclJ
- Fasting or cleanse
- Meditate to clear the mind
- Chakra meditation
2 SANTOSHA Contentment, peace, gratitude
Ways to Practice Santosha
- Keep a gratitude journal
- Practice being less reactive
- Chant, sing, or dance as a meditation
- Take time every day to do your favorite activity
3 TAPAS Self-discipline, the fire within
Ways to practice Tapas
- Do a strong yoga workout to build inner heat
- Make a list of self-care activities that you will do every day
- Make a list of rules for yourself (ex. no electronics 2 hours before bed)
- Try a new activity and do it for one month, even if it’s just 10 minutes a day
- The second you wake up in the morning, ask yourself what you want to manifest for the day
4 SVADYAYA Self-study, study of ancient texts
Ways to practice Svadyaya
- Read some of the great teachings of yoga, such as Bhagavad Gita or The Path of the Yoga Sutras https://amzn.to/3q78LcF.
- Listen to the wisdom of some great teachers on Youtube, such as Mooji (see Youtube video – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pF_umJVoVKk.
- Be conscious of what is harming you physically and mentally, such as excessive sitting in one position, the food you eat, or obsessive behavior.
- On the mat, be aware of where you are letting ego take over instead of honoring what is best for you.
5 ISHVARA Connection beyond our small self, surrender
Ways to practice Ishvara
- Practice yoga Nidra (try the free App Insight Timer)
- Practice Savasana (8 minutes at the end of a yoga practice)
- Listen to meditation by Mooji on Youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yVfR6P8wMo
- Repeat a daily mantra such as “not my will, but thy will be done.”
- Chant Daily